Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tacos y Mas: Enjoying a Big "D" in Big D



A few Fridays ago, my first task of the day was to drive a truck over to our service center so that it could receive routine maintenance.  My friend/co-worker Patrick followed me there so that he could drive me back to work after I dropped off the truck.  This sort of assignment is typically followed by a long day of entering data into a spread sheet and other office work, so as I climbed into the passenger seat of Patrick's SUV, I was thinking about a place we could stop by on the way back to work to pick up something to eat to sustain me through what was no doubt going to be a long and arduous day at my desk.  I had my mind set on spicy breakfast food, and so I directed Patrick to the Tacos y Mas at the corner of Winslow Avenue and Samuell Boulevard in East Dallas.


I was familiar with the Tacos y Mas on Ross Avenue, and though my family enjoyed their tacos many times over the years, we stopped visiting there because of the disturbingly long amount of time it took to get served.  I don't know why, but I had high hopes for my first visit to the Winslow/Samuell location.


It did not take long for my hopes to be validated.  Within ten minutes of pulling into the parking lot, Patrick and I were on our way back to work and I had a huge breakfast burrito that Tacos y Mas calls The Big "D."  The burrito certainly lived up to its' name----especially the "Big" part of the name.  It was a big mess of eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, chorizo, potatoes, eggs, cheese, and pico de gallo stuffed into a giant flour tortilla.  For good measure, they threw in a plastic container of green hot sauce.  I'd have started eating it immediately if not for the fact that it was, even through the wrapping paper and a plastic bag, almost too hot to hold.  Also, I knew that if I started on it in Patrick's vehicle I'd have to spend time later cleaning Patrick's vehicle.

Back in my office, I unwrapped the burrito and with both hands around it, began to eat.  The first bite was a challenge.  I thought for a moment that I'd have to dislocate my jaw to get a proper bite.  Somehow I managed, and immediately my taste buds were inundated with the mixture of the different meats----most prominently the spicy chorizo.  Make no mistake about it, the "D" in The Big "D" could easily stand for "Delicious!"


I slowly worked my way through the burrito, applying the green hot sauce liberally, until finally I was finished, stuffed, and ready to get to work.  In fact, there was no need for me to later stop for lunch, and when I went home after work, almost no need for me to eat dinner.

That next Sunday, Jessica and I stopped by Tacos y Mas after Mass, picked up a Big "D," took it home, and split it evenly between us.  She agreed with my assessment that it was delicious, and we both acknowledged that a more reasonable portion was half of a Big "D."  There was also an unspoken and happy realization that we'd found our new regular Tacos y Mas location.

Tacos y Mas is a cool place to eat.  I recommend that you give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. (Nice touch with the Megadeath coaster.) The Big 'D' sounds like my kind of burrito. Hot, freshly made and filling. Mentioning the chorizo and pico de gallo made my mouth water. Next time you should order a torta. I believe tortas are the standard on how to judge a good taco joint. If that bread if fresh---then you know that you are having a quality torta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Nothing makes it's way into my pictures by accident!
    You know, I've only had one torta in my lifetime, and it was so long ago that I've forgotten what it tastes like. You've convinced me. I'll have to try a torta soon!

    ReplyDelete