Monday, August 26, 2013

Doe Belly's: Perfect Catfish in Forney, Texas!



Saturday night, as a Knight of Columbus, I had to work the seven o'clock to clean-up shift at the beverage table at the pot-luck dinner at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in Dallas.  My family wanted to come along, and so, to simplify things, we decided to hit the four o'clock Mass before heading over to the pot-luck to grab a bite to eat.  As a result of this, we did not have to get up early for Mass on Sunday morning.  We slept in, and when we were all finally up and moving around, we were hungry.  It was a bit late to cook a big breakfast, and so Jessica and I agreed that we needed to take the family out for lunch.  After a bit of thought concerning the merits of which place appealed to us, was close enough, and was open at eleven o'clock, we came to the happy conclusion that the only answer was Doe Belly's.


Located at 300 W. Broad Street in Forney, Texas, Doe Belly's has been our go-to catfish restaurant since seconds after taking our first bite of their delicious fried catfish.

I'm not a fan of greasy catfish and I'm especially not fond of muddy catfish.  Doe-Belly's catfish has none of these unpleasant traits.  Their catfish is fried in a spicy cornmeal batter to perfection!  I'm not sure how they do it, but the catfish comes out firm enough that I can eat it with my hands.  As I eat it, it doesn't fall apart---even when I dip it into their tartar or cocktail sauce.  I've eaten at lots of catfish places in my lifetime, and I can't recall ever encountering a catfish that didn't require a fork at some point in the meal.

On Sunday, we showed up right after eleven and were the first in the door.  Immediately, like people who don't need to look over the menu, we went to the counter and ordered a regular two-piece catfish and  four shrimp combo for me and a two-piece catfish combo for Jessica.  The combos each come with a big handful of fries and two hush puppies, giving us plenty of food to feed the boys as well.




For drinks, the boys had children's cups filled with Doe Belly's Punch, a sweet punch spiked with fruit.  Jessica filled her cup with half punch and half un-sweet tea.  I wish I'd thought of that, but instead just drank sweetened tea.  Still, it was no terrible loss.  The iced tea is very good.

When we finally got our food and sat outside on the patio, the first thing both Jessica and I did was to grab the bottle of hot sauce and douse our catfish.  I'm not sure what brand of hot sauce Doe Belly's uses, but it's got just the right kick to compliment their catfish and shrimp.  The hot sauce, combined with the ketchup, tartar and cocktail sauce, gives Doe Belly's a solid A+ in the condiment department as far as I'm concerned.

By the time we left, I was definitely full and happy.  That went for the boys and Jessica as well, though I think the boys were more full of Doe Belly's Punch than food.  We count ourselves fortunate that we have such a great local catfish joint within a few miles of our house.

Doe Belly's is a cool place to eat!  I recommend that you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment