Saturday, July 13, 2013

In Praise of 7-11 Hot Dogs



       Yesterday was a busy day.  I received my work assignment around 0730 and anticipated a long day driving in my truck with periodic stops in the hundred degree heat to gather samples of water.  I'd had a cup of coffee with vanilla creamer, but missed my customary bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal because I'd been running late to leave the house.  As a result, by the time I set out on my route, I was hungry.

        Fortunately, there's a 7-11 near my office and I decided to stop by for a hot dog.

       That's right, a hot dog.  I had a hot dog  and a bag of 7-11 brand jalapeno flavored kettle chips for breakfast, and I don't regret it.

       I've been warned, in a good natured sort of way, by a friend to keep my affection for 7-11 hot dogs a secret.  I think I agreed in a non-committal way, but I just can't hide my real self any longer.  I like 7-11 hot dogs and it feels  good to get that fact out in the open, but it really should not be a surprise to anyone who knows me.

       Really, what's not to like?  They are delicious hot dogs----I always get the regular Big Bite, the buns are fresh and warm, and best of all, they only cost a little more than a dollar.

       The 7-11 near my office provides a variety of condiments, and I always load my dog up with fresh, crunchy jalapenos, onions, and mustard.  After one bite, my mouth is ablaze with zesty flavor, and my shirt almost invariably has a mustard stain.  After so many hot dogs, you'd think I'd learn to put on a napkin bib.


       My more nutrition-conscious friends will tell me that a 7-11 hot dog has awful animal body parts, horrible chemicals, and razor blades packed into its tube-like form, but I honestly don't care what's in it.  I only have one about twice a month and consider it an essential guilty pleasure.

       With my hot dog, I usually grab a bag of chips, and more often than not, I grab the 7-11 jalapeno flavored kettle chips.  I don't know who invented the kettle-cooked method for potato chips, but I'd like to nominate them for a food medal.  The 7-11 jalapeno flavored kettle chips are extra crunchy and their heat is offset with a nice sweetness.  They are the perfect companion to a hot dog.


       I sat in my truck and ate the hot dog and chips and then pulled out into traffic to start my workday in earnest.  As I drove, I hopped myself up on Mountain Dew and listened to a playlist I put together of Iron Maiden that mirrored the  set-list of their 2012 concert tour.  The sub-headline of this blog is "Blue-Collar Culinary Adventures of Dylan Sexton" and I just could not have chosen a more blue-collar way to start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment